May 19, 2012 10:36:03 PM
After deliberating for around three hours, a hung jury led to a mistrial in the case of the State versus Doris "D.R." McElhenney.
The state and defense attorney Rod Ray on Friday delivered closing remarks before the jury was sent for deliberations around 10 a.m. They returned before 2 p.m. to inform Circuit Court Judge Lee Coleman they could not reach a unanimous verdict.
Assistant District Attorney Katie Moulds said another trial date will be set for McElhenney.
McElhenney was indicted for feloniously fondling his then 11-year old granddaughter in 2009.
Trial began Tuesday afternoon with testimony from the accuser. McElhenney took the stand under oath on Thursday.
1. LCSO names suspect in Crawford shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Shots fired near the Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY