May 19, 2012 10:36:03 PM
After deliberating for around three hours, a hung jury led to a mistrial in the case of the State versus Doris "D.R." McElhenney.
The state and defense attorney Rod Ray on Friday delivered closing remarks before the jury was sent for deliberations around 10 a.m. They returned before 2 p.m. to inform Circuit Court Judge Lee Coleman they could not reach a unanimous verdict.
Assistant District Attorney Katie Moulds said another trial date will be set for McElhenney.
McElhenney was indicted for feloniously fondling his then 11-year old granddaughter in 2009.
Trial began Tuesday afternoon with testimony from the accuser. McElhenney took the stand under oath on Thursday.
1. Sweet Adeline: Child's future hangs in balance as Columbus family awaits liver transplant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man gets life sentences for kidnapping, sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Luckett resigning from SOCSD school board STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY