May 19, 2012 10:36:03 PM
After deliberating for around three hours, a hung jury led to a mistrial in the case of the State versus Doris "D.R." McElhenney.
The state and defense attorney Rod Ray on Friday delivered closing remarks before the jury was sent for deliberations around 10 a.m. They returned before 2 p.m. to inform Circuit Court Judge Lee Coleman they could not reach a unanimous verdict.
Assistant District Attorney Katie Moulds said another trial date will be set for McElhenney.
McElhenney was indicted for feloniously fondling his then 11-year old granddaughter in 2009.
Trial began Tuesday afternoon with testimony from the accuser. McElhenney took the stand under oath on Thursday.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CMSD board approves sale of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cracker Barrel shooting suspect captured in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Prather named interim CEO for Partnership STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY