May 21, 2012 10:28:52 AM
An outstanding warrant led to a drug bust and a statutory rape charge Thursday evening.
Lowndes County Sheriff's Office Capt. Bobby Grimes, commander of the Metro Bureau of Narcotics, said the warrant team went to the home of John Allen Murphy, 58, of 282 Dogwood Road, around 5:10 p.m. to serve a warrant to a person at the home.
When agents entered the home, they discovered a small amount of "ice," a rocklike form of methamphetamine, along with a small amount of marijuana.
Murphy was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance. Grimes said Murphy had prior drug offenses and had charges pending.
While at the home agents also arrested Levi Britton Pitts, 18, of 60 Mike Parra Road, and charged him with the statutory rape of a 15-year-old female, Grimes said.
Carmen K. Sisson is the former news editor at The Dispatch.
1. Spears: CMSD tax hike unnecessary COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Over 25 arrested on drug-related charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD officer involved in fight to go before city council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man arrested after attack at Palmer Home COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CMSD expected to tap reserves rather than raise taxes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY