May 21, 2012 10:28:52 AM
An outstanding warrant led to a drug bust and a statutory rape charge Thursday evening.
Lowndes County Sheriff's Office Capt. Bobby Grimes, commander of the Metro Bureau of Narcotics, said the warrant team went to the home of John Allen Murphy, 58, of 282 Dogwood Road, around 5:10 p.m. to serve a warrant to a person at the home.
When agents entered the home, they discovered a small amount of "ice," a rocklike form of methamphetamine, along with a small amount of marijuana.
Murphy was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance. Grimes said Murphy had prior drug offenses and had charges pending.
While at the home agents also arrested Levi Britton Pitts, 18, of 60 Mike Parra Road, and charged him with the statutory rape of a 15-year-old female, Grimes said.
Carmen K. Sisson is the former news editor at The Dispatch.
1. Eagles flourish in Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Inaugural MUW Symposium plays to overflow crowds, rave reviews COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Superintendent candidates see great potential in SOCSD STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Joint drug task force hits ground running COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Chism cries foul on Senate BP money bill COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY