May 21, 2012 10:31:12 AM
A Starkville man was arrested on charges of impersonating a police officer, after Starkville police discovered a fake Twitter account the man had established.
Officers of the Starkville Police Department Friday reported William Koal McMillan, 19, of 333 Sumter Road in Starkville was arrested, after police discovered the account claiming to be "the official Twitter page of the Starkville Police Department."
Detectives traced the account, which was discovered by police April 11, to McMillan's computer, through his IP (Internet Protocol) address.
McMillan said he created the account for a research paper for a college class.
Although he never identified himself as a police officer on the Twitter page, McMillan used the official SPD officers' shoulder patch as a profile photo and claimed the page was the "official" SPD page, police said.
McMillan was released on a $500 bond.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Dak Prescott acquitted of DUI, speeding STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY