May 21, 2012 10:31:12 AM
A Starkville man was arrested on charges of impersonating a police officer, after Starkville police discovered a fake Twitter account the man had established.
Officers of the Starkville Police Department Friday reported William Koal McMillan, 19, of 333 Sumter Road in Starkville was arrested, after police discovered the account claiming to be "the official Twitter page of the Starkville Police Department."
Detectives traced the account, which was discovered by police April 11, to McMillan's computer, through his IP (Internet Protocol) address.
McMillan said he created the account for a research paper for a college class.
Although he never identified himself as a police officer on the Twitter page, McMillan used the official SPD officers' shoulder patch as a profile photo and claimed the page was the "official" SPD page, police said.
McMillan was released on a $500 bond.
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY