May 22, 2012 10:11:44 AM
COLUMBUS -- The trial of a former youth leader, Benjamin Shelton, has been continued until August.
Shelton, of 924 Third Ave. N., is a former Sunday school teacher and part-time youth leader, who was charged with three counts of sexual battery.
An owner of Stewart's Antiques and Appraisals at 925 Third Ave. N., Shelton was arrested Jan. 22, 2009 by Lowndes County sheriff's deputies, after investigators learned he may have sexually abused a 17-year-old boy at a church camp, while Shelton was a youth leader.
His trial was scheduled to begin this week in Lowndes County Circuit Court. He is represented by local attorney Rodney Ray.
1. Ex-employee threatens shooting at Zaxby's COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. In his DNA: Shepherd plays key role in cold case arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Oktibbeha County's chancery candidates preparing for nonpartisan race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Volunteers host local arts bazaar in Starkville Sunday STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Gavin: Poor schools stunt city's growth COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY