June 30, 2012 9:41:59 PM
A former Mississippi legislator and Lowndes County Justice Court judge passed away Thursday at the age of 91.
Thomas McCrary, a native of Columbus and a World War II veteran, served in the Mississippi House of Representatives for two decades and was a Justice Court judge for four years. He also served as a charter member of Wesley United Methodist Church, and he and his wife, Minnie McCrary, were longtime supporters of Trinity Place Retirement Community, which was built on Airline Road on the site of the McCrarys' farm.
He served on the facility's original board of directors, and she was the activity director until 2000. They celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary June 7.
McCrary is credited with developing Fairlane Shopping Center and other businesses in Columbus.
Stan Maynard, executive director of Trinity Place, recalled McCrary as a staunch Democrat, who was known for engaging in lively political debates.
"The ones that knew Mr. Tom and me can imagine how lively the debates were," Maynard wrote in an email informing friends of McCrary's death. "Mr. Tom and I would always hold an election forum each year, prior to Election Day."
McCrary's funeral will be held Monday. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Wesley United Methodist Church, and a memorial service will immediately follow.
Carmen K. Sisson is the former news editor at The Dispatch.
1. County 'blindsides' city with increased tax collection fee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CHS championship basketball coach leaves after one year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for allegedly molesting child COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Two injured when car crashes into Subway COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Woman arrested after allegedly attacking husband for third time this year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY