August 18, 2012 8:28:54 PM
KILMICHAEL -- The town of Kilmichael and blues legend B.B. King will be honored with a marker on the Mississippi Blues Trail.
The "Kilmichael: Roots of B.B. King" marker will be unveiled Tuesday afternoon at 105 Depot Ave. in Kilmichael.
A news release from the Mississippi Development Authority says King, who was born in the Delta fifty miles west of Kilmichael in 1925, spent many of his formative years in Kilmichael in the 1930s and '40s before achieving stardom.
His first mentor on the guitar was the Rev. Archie Fair, who played while preaching at a local church.
King credited his teacher at the one-room Elkhorn School, Luther Henson, with instilling in him dignity, independence and hope.
1. Dog gives his life protecting child from rattlesnake COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 2 dead in Oktibbeha County car crash STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. MSU blue-chip guard popped for DUI STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. CPD welcomes 11 new officers to force COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Reclaiming the past: Local businessman making living selling salvaged material for new construction COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY