August 18, 2012 8:28:54 PM
KILMICHAEL -- The town of Kilmichael and blues legend B.B. King will be honored with a marker on the Mississippi Blues Trail.
The "Kilmichael: Roots of B.B. King" marker will be unveiled Tuesday afternoon at 105 Depot Ave. in Kilmichael.
A news release from the Mississippi Development Authority says King, who was born in the Delta fifty miles west of Kilmichael in 1925, spent many of his formative years in Kilmichael in the 1930s and '40s before achieving stardom.
His first mentor on the guitar was the Rev. Archie Fair, who played while preaching at a local church.
King credited his teacher at the one-room Elkhorn School, Luther Henson, with instilling in him dignity, independence and hope.
1. Builder of houses and people: Caledonia builder, Realtor dies at age 89 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus police make arrest in April shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CLW eyes rate, customer surcharge hikes for electric COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Parks partners with SOCSD for joint use of facilities STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Rick Young returns as EMCC interim president COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY