August 18, 2012 8:28:54 PM
KILMICHAEL -- The town of Kilmichael and blues legend B.B. King will be honored with a marker on the Mississippi Blues Trail.
The "Kilmichael: Roots of B.B. King" marker will be unveiled Tuesday afternoon at 105 Depot Ave. in Kilmichael.
A news release from the Mississippi Development Authority says King, who was born in the Delta fifty miles west of Kilmichael in 1925, spent many of his formative years in Kilmichael in the 1930s and '40s before achieving stardom.
His first mentor on the guitar was the Rev. Archie Fair, who played while preaching at a local church.
King credited his teacher at the one-room Elkhorn School, Luther Henson, with instilling in him dignity, independence and hope.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY