August 18, 2012 8:28:54 PM
KILMICHAEL -- The town of Kilmichael and blues legend B.B. King will be honored with a marker on the Mississippi Blues Trail.
The "Kilmichael: Roots of B.B. King" marker will be unveiled Tuesday afternoon at 105 Depot Ave. in Kilmichael.
A news release from the Mississippi Development Authority says King, who was born in the Delta fifty miles west of Kilmichael in 1925, spent many of his formative years in Kilmichael in the 1930s and '40s before achieving stardom.
His first mentor on the guitar was the Rev. Archie Fair, who played while preaching at a local church.
King credited his teacher at the one-room Elkhorn School, Luther Henson, with instilling in him dignity, independence and hope.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY