August 23, 2012 1:39:50 PM
Columbus businessman Benny Shelton has been found guilty on one charge of sexual assault of a minor during Thursday's circuit court session in Columbus.
He was acquitted on a second charge of sexual assault made by the same victim.
A jury found Shelton guilty of on the charge related to an incident at a church summer camp in July 2008 in which the victim said he was forced to perform oral sex on Shelton. The victim was 17 years old at the time. The jury acquitted Shelton on a charge made by the same victim relating to an encounter between the two after the victim had turned 18.
Shelton was immediately remanded into custody following the verdict. He is expected to be sentenced either later today or on Friday.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Joint drug task force hits ground running COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man pleads guilty to robbing railroad worker COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Sheriff's office investigating former Caledonia teacher for sexual misconduct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Eagles flourish in Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Inaugural MUW Symposium plays to overflow crowds, rave reviews COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY