August 30, 2012 9:49:59 AM
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama has declared federal emergencies in areas of Louisiana and Mississippi hit hard by Isaac, moving to speed federal aid and recovery efforts to the hurricane-battered Gulf Coast.
Obama signed the orders late Wednesday covering 35 parishes in Louisiana and 34 counties in Mississippi.
The White House said in a statement that the disaster declarations ordered authorities to expedite federal aid in areas affected by Isaac.
The move makes the federal funding available to state and eligible local governments and certain nonprofit organizations for emergency work in the stricken areas.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Skull identified as missing son of former Columbus police chief COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police searching for suspect in death of Starkville woman STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY