August 30, 2012 9:49:59 AM
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama has declared federal emergencies in areas of Louisiana and Mississippi hit hard by Isaac, moving to speed federal aid and recovery efforts to the hurricane-battered Gulf Coast.
Obama signed the orders late Wednesday covering 35 parishes in Louisiana and 34 counties in Mississippi.
The White House said in a statement that the disaster declarations ordered authorities to expedite federal aid in areas affected by Isaac.
The move makes the federal funding available to state and eligible local governments and certain nonprofit organizations for emergency work in the stricken areas.
1. LCSO names suspect in Crawford shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Shots fired near the Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY