August 31, 2012 10:15:36 AM
TRENTON, N.J. -- At least three people have died in a shooting at a New Jersey supermarket early today, a law enforcement official said.
The person believed to be the shooter is among the dead, a law enforcement official briefed on the shooting told The Associated Press. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the shooting took place in a different jurisdiction.
The shooting happened at about 4 a.m. inside a Pathmark grocery store in Old Bridge, Mayor Owen Henry told nj.com. The store was closed at the time and was scheduled to open at 6 a.m.
Employees who were in the store at the time of the shooting congregated later in the morning outside a TGI Friday's restaurant in the shopping center.
Old Bridge is a bedroom suburb of about 23,000 about 25 miles from Manhattan but just across the Raritan Bay from Staten Island.
The store and its parking lot were closed today. Pathmark officials had no immediate comment on the shooting.
New Jersey Transit closed its nearby park-and-ride lot and told riders that they could park in other park-and-ride lots or could ride the North Jersey Coast rail line.
1. Builder of houses and people: Caledonia builder, Realtor dies at age 89 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus police make arrest in April shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CLW eyes rate, customer surcharge hikes for electric COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Rick Young returns as EMCC interim president COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Parks partners with SOCSD for joint use of facilities STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY