June 21, 2009
BILOXI -- The Dispatch was honored as one of the top three mid-sized daily newspapers in the state by the Mississippi Press Association during an awards ceremony Saturday.
The third-place award for General Excellence was among nine awards earned by the newspaper during the Better Newspaper Contest ceremony, which honored daily and weekly papers of all sizes throughout the state.
The Dispatch also won first place in Best Feature Page or Section. Honorees named in the award include Lifestyles Editor Jan Swoope, designer Adrian Bohannon, and photographers Kelly Tippett and Joe Ray Roberson.
Second-place awards included Best Special Section for the annual Progress magazine; Best Front Page, for Garthia Elena Burnett and June Straight; and Best Spot News Photo, for Roberson.
Third-place awards included Best General News Photo and Best Spot News Photo, for Tippett; and Best Feature Story, for Kristin Mamrack.
Honorable Mention awards included Best General News Report, for Wade Leonard; and Best Spot News Story, for Tim Pratt.
1. Trio gets 40 years for pizza delivery robberies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Check warns Oktibbeha County 'not big enough' for two ambulance services STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Three finalists picked for CMSD superintendent job COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville could settle Pride lawsuit this week STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY