June 21, 2009
BILOXI -- The Dispatch was honored as one of the top three mid-sized daily newspapers in the state by the Mississippi Press Association during an awards ceremony Saturday.
The third-place award for General Excellence was among nine awards earned by the newspaper during the Better Newspaper Contest ceremony, which honored daily and weekly papers of all sizes throughout the state.
The Dispatch also won first place in Best Feature Page or Section. Honorees named in the award include Lifestyles Editor Jan Swoope, designer Adrian Bohannon, and photographers Kelly Tippett and Joe Ray Roberson.
Second-place awards included Best Special Section for the annual Progress magazine; Best Front Page, for Garthia Elena Burnett and June Straight; and Best Spot News Photo, for Roberson.
Third-place awards included Best General News Photo and Best Spot News Photo, for Tippett; and Best Feature Story, for Kristin Mamrack.
Honorable Mention awards included Best General News Report, for Wade Leonard; and Best Spot News Story, for Tim Pratt.
1. Joint drug task force hits ground running COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man pleads guilty to robbing railroad worker COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Sheriff's office investigating former Caledonia teacher for sexual misconduct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Eagles flourish in Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Inaugural MUW Symposium plays to overflow crowds, rave reviews COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY