September 7, 2012 11:50:48 AM
VICKSBURG -- The Rev. Herman "Preacher" Dennis, who turned a Mississippi Delta grocery store into a folk-art castle that became a roadside attraction, has died. He was 96.
Jefferson Funeral Home in Vicksburg said he died Tuesday. The Vicksburg Post reports Dennis died at Covenant Health and Rehab.
Margaret's Grocery started as a modest store off U.S. Highway 61. Margaret Rogers Dennis had owned it nearly 40 years when she married "Preacher" in 1984, and he said he'd build a monument to her and their faith in God.
During the 1980s and '90s, the couple used concrete blocks, foam balls and other common items to turn the store into a castle. Hand-painted signs displayed phrases about the Bible. Though deteriorated, it was still standing this summer.
Margaret died in 2009.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspects lead police on chase through two counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. County pushes city to relax Cornerstone regulations STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY