September 20, 2012 11:15:36 AM
A person of interest has been taken into custody after a Tuesday night shooting left a woman injured in Oktibbeha County.
Officials with the Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Department stated that at 11:40 Tuesday night, E-911 received a call of a woman shot on Pierce Road.
When deputies arrived on the scene, they discovered a woman with gunshot wounds to the body. The shooting occurred in the middle of the street and the shooter was no longer on the scene.
The victim was then transported to North Mississippi Medical Center in Eupora before being airlifted to North Mississippi Regional Medical Center in Tupelo.
The unidentified person of interest is in the custody of the Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Department and may face charges related to the shooting as the investigation continues.
The victim is listed in stable condition.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Liver transplant surgeries for Columbus mother and daughter a success COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY