September 20, 2012 11:15:36 AM
A person of interest has been taken into custody after a Tuesday night shooting left a woman injured in Oktibbeha County.
Officials with the Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Department stated that at 11:40 Tuesday night, E-911 received a call of a woman shot on Pierce Road.
When deputies arrived on the scene, they discovered a woman with gunshot wounds to the body. The shooting occurred in the middle of the street and the shooter was no longer on the scene.
The victim was then transported to North Mississippi Medical Center in Eupora before being airlifted to North Mississippi Regional Medical Center in Tupelo.
The unidentified person of interest is in the custody of the Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Department and may face charges related to the shooting as the investigation continues.
The victim is listed in stable condition.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. MSMS teacher wins national award for math, science teachers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bud and Burgers event canceled COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Suspected burglar arrested at courthouse COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha road plan draft calls for $2M in work STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. MUW planning new culinary arts building COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY