The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department confiscated 37 guns, cocaine, marijuana, various pills and $500 in cash during a raid at the home and business of Steve Gaston Colburn. Photo by: Courtesy photo
September 21, 2012 10:33:14 AM
The owner of a Monroe County car dealership was arrested on Thursday and charged with possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana, possession of a weapon by a convicted felon and possession of stolen firearms.
Steve Gaston Colburn, owner of S & J Auto Sales on Highway 25, was arrested by the Monroe County Sheriff's Department at his home on 50046 Indian Island Circle in Aberdeen.
Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell said Colburn has been under investigation by his department for six months.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Department and agents with the North Mississippi Narcotics Unit discovered cocaine, marijuana, 37 guns (three of which were reported stolen), Xanax, Lortab and more than $500 in cash in both the car dealership and Colburn's home.
Cantrell said Colburn's arrest should send a message to drug dealers in the county.
"If you are dealing drugs in Monroe County, we're going to catch you,'' Cantrell said. "We're not going to permit this in our county. We're trying to make this county a better place to live and raise our families. We're working hard to send the drug dealers and the users a message that we're not going to allow this anymore."
Colburn is currently in the custody of the Monroe County Adult Detention Center awaiting bond.
Additional charges against Colburn are pending.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Liver transplant surgeries for Columbus mother and daughter a success COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY