October 1, 2012 9:31:47 AM
NEW ORLEANS -- A 32-year-old New Orleans man has been sentenced to 514 years in prison for a botched and bloody holdup in 2007.
Anthony Martin testified that his gun went off during a struggle at a house where he had gone to buy marijuana. Prosecutors and witnesses said he was there to sell drugs and started shooting.
Julio Benitez Cruz, of El Salvador, died at a hospital. Three others were wounded. During a fight, Martin lost his shoes and his pants, with ID and a credit card in the pockets.
Criminal District Court Judge Frank Marullo sentenced Martin last week as a habitual offender, boosting sentences for one count each of manslaughter, aggravated burglary and illegally discharging a firearm during a violent crime, two counts of attempted murder and six of attempted armed robbery, The Times-Picayune reported.
Martin was arrested in Mississippi. He was convicted Aug. 24 after four mistrials.
Before the mistrial was called, Martin rejected a prosecution offer of a 20-year sentence if he pleaded guilty to manslaughter and numerous other charges.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Brown picks former SHS teacher for recognition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Feeding the needy: Food drives lend helping hand for Thanksgiving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY