October 6, 2012 10:04:05 PM
Carmen Sisson has been promoted to news editor, Dispatch Managing Editor Slim Smith has announced.
Sisson, 39, moves into her new role after serving as The Dispatch's education reporter since joining the staff in April 2011.
The Mobile, Ala. native was a double-major at the University of Alabama, studying English and journalism.
Prior to joining the Dispatch, Sisson has worked at the Mobile County News (reporter/photographer) and Northport Gazette (editor). She has also worked extensively as a freelance correspondent and photographer for a number of news media outlets, including Christian Science Monitor, TIME Magazine and The Associated Press.
In her new position, Sisson will serve in a variety of roles, including editing, feature writing, photography and layout/design.
"I'm happy to have Carmen move into this role," Smith said. "Carmen's versatility is a great asset for The Dispatch. We think she will flourish in this expanded role."
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Ward 5 candidates outline goals, platforms COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY