October 11, 2012 11:00:28 AM
If a family on Blackjack Road had not had a working smoke detector, the consequences of a Tuesday morning kitchen fire could have been tragic.
All six occupants, including five children, escaped the structural fire, which was called in around 2:30 a.m. East Oktibbeha County Fire Department responded.
Oktibbeha County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said the inside of the house suffered severe heat and smoke damage, but the house as a whole received minimal damage thanks to the quick action of the firefighters.
"There are some smoke stains and a couple of broken windows," he said. "But otherwise, from outside, you can't tell there was a problem."
Rosenhan contacted the Red Cross, which put the family up for the night, but an official with Red Cross told him she could not divulge their clients' whereabouts.
This is Fire Prevention Week, as well, and Rosenhan said he was happy to know the family was using a smoke alarm.
"We urge everybody to check their smoke detectors, and if you don't have one, get one," Rosenhan said. "Ensure that they work and that everyone has an escape plan."
1. CRA distances itself from Realtor's 'threatening' letters to Burns Bottom property owners COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Developer agrees to purchase Lee for $450K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dispatch earns 16 Press Association awards COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Greco joins Dispatch as government reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'This is a place for miracles': Church formerly on the brink of condemnation celebrates fresh start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY