June 27, 2009
STARKVILLE -- A Starkville restaurant will attempt to set a Guinness World Record next weekend for the largest barbecue sandwich in history.
The staff of The Bistro, which recently opened in the location of the former Doe''s Eat Place on Main Street, will smoke more than 1,000 pounds of pork shoulders for the event, with assistance from the Starkville Young Professionals, 2 Brothers grilling team and City Bagel, among others. City Bagel will provide the bread.
The event begins July 3 at 5 p.m. and runs all day July 4. The sandwich weigh-in will take place July 4 at 12 p.m.
Portions of the sandwich then will be cut and sold with barbecue fixings for $8 a plate. Proceeds will go to the Starkville Police Department.
Entertainment will begin noon Saturday with local and regional blues bands, including Blind Mississippi Morris as the headliner.
The State Theatre, located next door, also will host an event called "Beers from around the World," with beverages from all over the globe. An all-day beer pass will be available for $20.
Patrons also will have the chance to win free promotional items from the beer vendors.
1. Builder of houses and people: Caledonia builder, Realtor dies at age 89 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus police make arrest in April shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CLW eyes rate, customer surcharge hikes for electric COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. A church within reach COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville to begin mulling residential parking ordinance change STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY