October 18, 2012 10:09:07 AM
JACKSON -- Military or overseas voters from three Mississippi counties are getting more time to submit ballots for next month's election.
Hinds, Jefferson Davis and Pontotoc counties missed a Sept. 22 deadline to transmit ballots to military members or U.S. citizens living overseas. Federal law says ballots must be sent to those groups at least 45 days before an election.
The election for president, U.S. House and Senate and some state judicial races is Nov. 6.
Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann says Wednesday that his office is setting a new deadline of Nov. 10 for the military and overseas ballots from the three counties to be submitted.
The U.S. Justice Department gave permission for the later deadline. Because of Mississippi's history of discrimination, it needs federal approval for changes in voting procedures.
1. Habitat for Humanity provides home for beloved CHS manager COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Shots fired at Columbus Sprint Mart COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY