October 18, 2012 10:09:07 AM
JACKSON -- Military or overseas voters from three Mississippi counties are getting more time to submit ballots for next month's election.
Hinds, Jefferson Davis and Pontotoc counties missed a Sept. 22 deadline to transmit ballots to military members or U.S. citizens living overseas. Federal law says ballots must be sent to those groups at least 45 days before an election.
The election for president, U.S. House and Senate and some state judicial races is Nov. 6.
Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann says Wednesday that his office is setting a new deadline of Nov. 10 for the military and overseas ballots from the three counties to be submitted.
The U.S. Justice Department gave permission for the later deadline. Because of Mississippi's history of discrimination, it needs federal approval for changes in voting procedures.
1. Steens woman dies in Lowndes Co. wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes Co. child dies after weekend crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Is Cracker Barrel coming to Columbus? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CMSD introduces after school program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CMSD invests $2M in district's athletic facilities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY