June 30, 2009
CARROLLTON, Ala. -- An Alabama man June 9 was sentenced to 25 years in prison after pleading guilty to manslaughter charges in the Pickens County, Ala., Circuit Court.
Frederic Douglas Moore Jr., 44, of 16505 Meadowbrook Place in Ralph, Ala., pleaded guilty to one count of manslaughter for his involvement in a fatal automobile crash on Highway 82 near Gordo, Ala.
According to Chris McCool, district attorney for the Alabama 24th Judicial Circuit, Moore was intoxicated while driving east on Highway 82 when he crossed the highway and collided head-on with a vehicle being driven west by John Eaton Jr., 77, of 11494 Plowman Circle in Coker, Ala.
Eaton was pronounced dead at the scene, and Moore was treated and released from DCH Regional Medical Center in Tuscaloosa, Ala. After Moore was released from the hospital, Pickens County District Attorney Investigator David Sullivan and Alabama State Troopers officers arrested the suspect and charged him with murder.
However, Moore''s charge later was lessened to manslaughter in exchange for his guilty plea.
"The victim''s sons in this case were deeply involved in the settlement negotiations, and approved this plea and sentence," McCool said.
"This is why we have DUI laws," McCool added. "This is a sad, sad case which just shows you how dangerous drinking and driving can be. I hope everyone sits up and takes note that DUI can lead to tragic consequences."
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Oktibbeha elections set as last-minute qualifiers enter races STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY