October 30, 2012 10:20:30 AM
The students who normally inhabit the halls of Starkville High School, will be replaced by an assortment of ghouls, princesses and super-heroes tonight during the Starkville Schools Fall Festival.
The event, which is being staged by the SHS Student Government in conjunction with the school's journalism department, is open to all community members and is geared at kids of all ages.
Last year's event attracted several hundred kids, and SHS journalism advisor RJ Morgan said he hopes to see at least the same this year.
The Fall Festival will feature a cake walk, fishing booth, some Fear Factor type challenges, face-painting and a trick-or-treat trail where kids can go door-to-door candy hunting through the SHS halls.
The Haunted Elevator from last year's event has been expanded into the Haunted Hallway, and Morgan said he thinks some of the 5th- and 6th-graders who want a bit of a scare will love the additions.
There will be concessions available and Morgan said he is even thinking about bringing a pot some of his own chili.
Admission is free, but tickets to play games cost 25 cents each. All proceeds go to SHS student government and journalism department.
Morgan said it's great to raise money for the students, who actually plan and run the festival, but that for the amount of work that goes into the event, it's really a labor of love.
"It's just something the community needs, a safe place," he said. "It's just so good to be able to give back to the community, kids and families can come and enjoy an evening of good fun."
The event begins at 5 p.m. and lasts until 8 p.m.
1. In his DNA: Shepherd plays key role in cold case arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Volunteers host local arts bazaar in Starkville Sunday STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Oktibbeha County's chancery candidates preparing for nonpartisan race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. MSU borrowing to build $9M parking garage STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Locals recognizing the history, purpose of Memorial Day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY