November 3, 2012 8:52:38 PM
Columbus High School was on lock- down Thursday after a student brought a handgun onto the campus.
While officials with the Columbus Municipal School District could not confirm the student's name, they did confirm the school was shut down for "10 or 15 minutes."
CMSD Public Information Officer Michael Jackson said the Columbus Police Department was called to investigate after a handgun reportedly fell out of a backpack belonging to a 15-year-old male student.
The teen was in in-school detention at the time of the incident and fled the building once the gun fell from his backpack. He then hid the gun in a vehicle in the school parking lot.
When CPD investigators searched the vehicle, they discovered a weapon inside the car.
The teen and his parents returned to the high school Friday to speak with school administrators and investigators. He was then taken into custody.
Because the student is a minor, no other details were immediately available.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspects lead police on chase through two counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. County pushes city to relax Cornerstone regulations STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY