November 15, 2012 12:41:36 PM
A Columbus woman pleaded guilty Wednesday in Lowndes County Circuit Court to the sexual assault of a 14-year-old boy.
Kimberly Smith, 25, of 97 Rivers Lane, pleaded guilty to the sexual assault charge in front of Judge Lee Howard Wednesday morning. She was 24 at the time of her May 2011 arrest.
Smith was a family friend and had moved in with the boy and his ailing mother to help tend to the sick woman. She was living with the family at the time the assault occurred.
Smith was given a 20-year suspended sentence. She received five years of probation.
Sarah Fowler covers crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County working on possible storm shelter project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY