November 15, 2012 12:41:36 PM
A Columbus woman pleaded guilty Wednesday in Lowndes County Circuit Court to the sexual assault of a 14-year-old boy.
Kimberly Smith, 25, of 97 Rivers Lane, pleaded guilty to the sexual assault charge in front of Judge Lee Howard Wednesday morning. She was 24 at the time of her May 2011 arrest.
Smith was a family friend and had moved in with the boy and his ailing mother to help tend to the sick woman. She was living with the family at the time the assault occurred.
Smith was given a 20-year suspended sentence. She received five years of probation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. MSMS teacher wins national award for math, science teachers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspected burglar arrested at courthouse COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Bud and Burgers event canceled COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha road plan draft calls for $2M in work STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. MUW planning new culinary arts building COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY