November 15, 2012 12:41:36 PM
A Columbus woman pleaded guilty Wednesday in Lowndes County Circuit Court to the sexual assault of a 14-year-old boy.
Kimberly Smith, 25, of 97 Rivers Lane, pleaded guilty to the sexual assault charge in front of Judge Lee Howard Wednesday morning. She was 24 at the time of her May 2011 arrest.
Smith was a family friend and had moved in with the boy and his ailing mother to help tend to the sick woman. She was living with the family at the time the assault occurred.
Smith was given a 20-year suspended sentence. She received five years of probation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. CMS exhibits culture of giving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus police seek bank fraud suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex park ranger gets 5 years for child exploitation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus woman dies in car crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY