November 21, 2012 5:35:31 PM
NEW ORLEANS -- Actor Michael Cerveris is among the organizers of simultaneous parties set for New Orleans and New York to mark the end of hurricane season and raise money for storm recovery.
Evacuteer.org, an organization that assists with hurricane evacuations in New Orleans, says its 4th annual Bye-Bye Hurricane Season party in New Orleans will run from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Nov. 30.
Meanwhile, a simultaneous celebration is planned in New York to raise money for the Tunnel to Towers Foundation, which is helping residents of Brooklyn, Long Beach and Staten Island recover from Superstorm Sandy.
Cerveris will be among those at the New York event. He currently stars in "Evita" on Broadway. His television work includes roles in "Fringe" and the New Orleans-set "Treme."
Evacuteer.org was formed by volunteers to help the city of New Orleans sign up, organize and train volunteers to help with government evacuations of people who don't or can't leave on their own.
Cerveris said he first visited New Orleans when he was in college and grew to love the city, which he now makes a second home, while working on a film several years ago. He said he has done volunteer work in the area with Habitat for Humanity.
He said he met Evacuteer.org founder Robert Fogarty some time ago and ran into him recently at a charity event and began discussing the possibility of holding an event in New York to coincide with the Evacuteer.org end-of-season party.
"I had reverse-evacuated to New Orleans from New York after Sandy," he said. "We were talking about shared hurricane experiences and he said it would be a great thing to try to do a simultaneous toast in New York and New Orleans. And I said I'd like to help out."
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus police nab one suspect, search for another in Saturday armed robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Officials respond to voting concerns at Union precinct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY