July 8, 2009
New faces during a Tuesday night Columbus City Council meeting brought a pair of new members to city posts and area committees, as a newly elected council breezed through a relatively brief session.
Newcomers Ward 2 Councilman Joseph Mickens, Ward 3 Councilman Charlie Box, Ward 5 Councilman Kabir Karriem and Ward 6 Councilman Bill Gavin joined veterans Ward 1 Councilman Gene Taylor and Ward 4 Councilman Fred Stewart for the first time as the group voted to name Gavin the city''s vice mayor.
The board unanimously accepted Mayor Robert Smith''s recommendation and elected the Ward 6 newcomer to be Columbus second-in-command.
Gavin, who will be in charge of all city functions in Smith''s absence, replaced former vice mayor and Ward 5 Councilman Jay Jordan and will serve in the position until 2013.
In other business, the board:
Mickens will serve at the post for the next four years, and will replace former Ward 2 Councilwoman Susan Mackay on the board.
"Matt is now one of only a handful of people in Mississippi who are certified to do forensics analysis on a computer," St. John said as he presented Manley a Chief''s Coin. "Columbus is the only place outside Jackson that is now certified to do computer forensics work."
Once granted, the AIP funds will be used to complete fencing around the airport and pave areas around a few newly constructed aircraft hangars.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Former coach pleads guilty to sex crime with student COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY