July 9, 2009
The J.C. Penney at Leigh Mall will host a catfish fry Friday to raise money for United Way of Lowndes County.
The event will take place at the store''s back receiving doors from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Plate lunches including Southern-style catfish, baked beans and cole slaw will be available for $6. Homemade dessert is available for $1. Drinks will cost 50 cents.
People may eat and drink on premises or take their purchases to go.
J.C. Penney stores have bolstered United Way''s fundraising efforts for several years, said Jan Ballard, executive director of the United Way branch. "They know about the work of our organization, and they support us through these special events that they do," she said.
Meagan Coughlin, Community Volunteer Center project coordinator for the United Way branch, played up the importance of participating in the catfish fry.
"People should come out here because this''ll be a great way to support United Way, especially with the hard economic times," Coughlin said. "This''ll be an avenue to support our organization and in return get a Southern summer catfish plate.
"It''s important," she continued, "because we''ve got a lot of people out there who rely on this agency to provide them with help and assistance, and (it''s) an easy way for the community to show their support and help their neighbors."
To place orders in advance, call 328-2093, ext. 380.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lawyers, adviser crafting RFP for Oktibbeha's hospital STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY