December 6, 2012 10:06:00 AM
JACKSON -- The Mississippi Capitol and other historic buildings are decked out for the Old Jackson Christmas by Candlelight Tour.
The free event is 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Friday.
The state Department of Archives and History says free transportation is provided among the buildings in and around downtown Jackson -- the Capitol, the Governor's Mansion, the Old Capitol Museum, the Eudora Welty House and the William Winter Archives and History Building.
The Capitol will be decorated with garlands, poinsettias and Mississippi-grown Leyland Cypress Christmas trees.
The Old Capitol Museum is decked with 1840s-style greenery, similar to the decor that local women put in the building when Andrew Jackson visited.
The Welty House has decorations inspired by her short story "Powerhouse," which she wrote after seeing a Fats Waller concert in Jackson.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Dak Prescott acquitted of DUI, speeding STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY