December 10, 2012 10:00:41 AM
Golden Triangle Waste Management Authority received a grant this week that will be used to fund a household hazardous waste collection project.
The $37,200 solid waste assistance grant was awarded by the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
Solid waste assistance grants are used by communities to aid with the prevention and cleanup of unauthorized dumps, hiring local solid waste enforcement officers, for public education efforts on solid waste disposal and recycling, and to establish programs for the collection of white goods, bulky wastes and recyclables.
"The solid waste assistance grants support a variety of useful solid waste management activities for cities and counties, and this grant will assist the Authority's efforts in improving their management of solid waste," MDEQ Executive Director Trudy D. Fisher said.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS