December 10, 2012 10:00:41 AM
Golden Triangle Waste Management Authority received a grant this week that will be used to fund a household hazardous waste collection project.
The $37,200 solid waste assistance grant was awarded by the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
Solid waste assistance grants are used by communities to aid with the prevention and cleanup of unauthorized dumps, hiring local solid waste enforcement officers, for public education efforts on solid waste disposal and recycling, and to establish programs for the collection of white goods, bulky wastes and recyclables.
"The solid waste assistance grants support a variety of useful solid waste management activities for cities and counties, and this grant will assist the Authority's efforts in improving their management of solid waste," MDEQ Executive Director Trudy D. Fisher said.
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Paying dividends: West Lowndes students earn big returns in Stock Market Game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. The Running Man: Columbus cardiologist fled Uganda death squads as a teen COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY