December 13, 2012 11:21:22 AM
WASHINGTON -- A leading conservative who's resigning from the Senate is predicting that President Barack Obama will win the battle over raising taxes.
South Carolina Republican Jim DeMint calls it "a political trophy" within Obama's grasp. Appearing today on "CBS This Morning," DeMint says, quote, "The president's proposal is not a plan, it's not a solution."
Asked why Obama and congressional Repub-licans can't agree on a plan to avert a fiscal cliff in less than three weeks, DeMint says both political parties have "failed" the country.
On Obama, the senator says, "He's going to get his wish. I believe we're going to be raising taxes and not just on the top earners."
DeMint is stepping down from the Senate to become president of the Heritage Institution, a conservative think tank.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY