December 24, 2012 10:18:51 AM
A fatal car accident on Highway 12 in Lowndes County claimed the life of an Alabama man Sunday morning.
William "Bill" Mixson, 65, of Sulligent, was driving his midsize Chevrolet pick-up east on Highway 12 when he traveled into oncoming traffic and hit a vehicle head on. Mixson's truck was then struck by another vehicle.
He was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant said the accident is still under investigation.
The other drivers were unharmed.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. One dead after downtown Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A truly multi-purpose playground COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY