December 27, 2012 10:17:41 AM
Melanie Ford, health sciences and medical professions teacher at McKellar Technology Center, was named the 2012-2013 Columbus Municipal School District Teacher of the Year.
Ford has been working at McKellar since 2001. Prior to becoming an educator in 2001, she worked as a registered nurse. She continues to work as a registered nurse at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
In addition to being a National Board-certified teacher, Ford has lead the health sciences students to the top of the class, with her students scoring in the top tenth percentile in the state on the statewide comprehensive Career Planning and Assessment System test (CPAS) since she began teaching in 2001. For the past five years, they have placed either in the top two or three. In the spring of 2012, her students' scores were the number one scores in the state of Mississippi, with every one of her students placing advanced and one receiving a perfect score.
Ford is a member of Fairview Baptist Church, where she teaches the sixth grade "Girls in Action" class. She was also selected by the Mississippi Community College Consortium to be a lead teacher in the Math in Career and Technical Education program.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY