January 4, 2013 11:43:02 AM
A suspect has been arrested and charged in the Dec. 28 shooting that sent one Oktibbeha County man to the hospital with a gunshot wound.
Lorenzo Lamas Hunter, 27, is being held in the Oktibbeha County Jail on a $10,000 bond. He will face aggravated assault charges stemming from the incident.
Oktibbeha County Sheriff's deputies executed a search warrant at Hunter's residence at 598 Blair Road in Starkville on Dec. 29, and apprehended Hunter without incident.
"We received information on where he was staying early in the morning on (Dec. 29) and acted immediately," Chief Deputy Chad Garnett said
Hunter's court date has not be set.
At 1:34 a.m. on Dec. 28, deputies were dispatched to the Oktibbeha County Hospital Emergency Room for a report of a gunshot victim, who was able to cooperate with officers despite his wound. The victim told the deputies that he was leaving a friend's house on Blair Road when he heard a noise he assumed was a tire blow out. When the back glass of his SUV shattered the victim realized he had been shot. He then drove himself to the emergency room.
The victim was released from OCH later that day.
Garnett said he knew little about the motive and that it was unclear if the shooter and the victim knew each other.
"The only thing I know for sure, is that it was over a female, but it's really not known if the two had met, " Garnett said. "But the shooting was definitely not coincidental."
1. Arrest made in Jack's restaurant case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CPD names suspect in Jack's incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Locals at inauguration: 'Just wonderful' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus High lockdown lifted after CPD calls off search for suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Registering their dissent: Nearly 1,000 attend Women's March in Jackson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY