February 10, 2009
County authorities today are investigating a suspicious death at a house near the intersection of Concourse Road and Highway 69 South.
Lowndes County sheriff''s deputies on Monday night discovered 82-year-old Ava Robinson, of 483 Concourse Road, dead in her residence after the woman''s son called to report he had not heard from her for several days.
"The situation came to our concern after the victim''s son called police and said he had been unable to reach her for a few days," said Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant. "We went to the residence and found a door standing open and the woman deceased in her house."
Authorities are unsure if foul play was involved in the death and were investigating the incident this morning.
"I''m not sure if we will do an autopsy on the body. That all depends on what the police investigation determines," said Merchant. "The situation was a little suspicious, so the sheriff''s department is looking into it to determine if any criminal charges should be brought."
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY