January 26, 2013 10:40:01 PM
Multiple Columbus residents have reported receiving a call from someone claiming to work at The Commercial Dispatch and offering a discount on subscriptions.
People receiving these calls report they came from a Tunica, Miss. phone number.
"Though the newspaper occasionally uses telemarketing to sell subscriptions, the caller ID feature on your phone should display 'The Commercial Dispatch,'" Dispatch General Manager Peter Imes said.
In another scam, the caller offers a new Medicare card. In this case, Columbus residents report the caller has their name, address, phone number and, in some cases, a portion of their checking account number.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Woman arrested for alleged box cutter attack COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. LINK head concerned about state budget cuts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY