Olivia, Evelyn and Elisa Artiques, seated, from left, make homemade Valentines in a previous workshop hosted by the Friends of the Oktibbeha County Heritage Museum. They are assisted by volunteers Shirley Carley and Joan Wilson. This year’s Valentine Adventure will be Feb. 9 at the museum in Starkville. The children are the daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Artiques. Photo by: Courtesy photo
February 2, 2013 8:49:43 PM
Children of all ages will have an opportunity to hone their creative talents Saturday, Feb. 9, when the Friends of the Oktibbeha County Heritage Museum stage a Valentine Adventure from 10 a.m. to noon. The museum is located at 206 Fellowship St. in Starkville, across the street from Odd Fellows Cemetery.
"This event is part of our outreach program to attract a wide variety of age groups to the museum," said Betsy Longest, president of the Heritage Museum. "Our mission is to foster pride in our diverse culture and to ensure that the history is preserved for future generations," she added.
The museum also features rotating exhibits, such as the recent Mardi Gras memorabilia. An exhibit of vintage Valentine cards and decorations will be featured during the month of February.
During Saturday's Valentine Adventure, the museum will provide art supplies and children 12 and under will be encouraged to construct homemade valentines for their friends and family members. Members of the Friends of the Museum will be on hand to assist youngsters in making Valentine's cards.
The Oktibbeha County Heritage museum is open to the public each Tuesday through Thursday from 1 to 4 p.m., and by appointment for groups. For more information, call 662-323-0211.
1. Sheriff's office investigating former Caledonia teacher for sexual misconduct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Joint drug task force hits ground running COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. New Hope senior, Ole Miss signee arrested for stealing guns COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Trainer: Wet N Wild deal unlikely until lake repairs are made STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Investigators looking into suspicious package delivered to Oby's STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY