February 9, 2013 7:44:56 PM
JACKSON -- Officials say a mistake is to blame for the Confederate flag being raised over the Mississippi Supreme Court building on Friday.
Kym Wiggins, public information officer for the state Department of Finance and Administration, tells The Clarion-Ledger that the flag was put up accidentally when workers were replacing a worn Mississippi state flag.
Wiggins says workers had gone to a local vendor to get state flags and were given two boxes labeled "Mississippi State Flag."
She says that unknown to the workers the boxes actually contained Confederate flags. The flag was up for about two hours.
Wiggins says the vendor has been notified to make sure no future problems take place.
1. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Fire destroys New Light Road home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. 'Programming is problem solving': Local senior conducts STEM camp for girls COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY