February 9, 2013 7:44:56 PM
JACKSON -- Officials say a mistake is to blame for the Confederate flag being raised over the Mississippi Supreme Court building on Friday.
Kym Wiggins, public information officer for the state Department of Finance and Administration, tells The Clarion-Ledger that the flag was put up accidentally when workers were replacing a worn Mississippi state flag.
Wiggins says workers had gone to a local vendor to get state flags and were given two boxes labeled "Mississippi State Flag."
She says that unknown to the workers the boxes actually contained Confederate flags. The flag was up for about two hours.
Wiggins says the vendor has been notified to make sure no future problems take place.
1. Ex-employee threatens shooting at Zaxby's COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. In his DNA: Shepherd plays key role in cold case arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Volunteers host local arts bazaar in Starkville Sunday STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha County's chancery candidates preparing for nonpartisan race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Gavin: Poor schools stunt city's growth COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY