February 12, 2013 11:34:19 AM
A Columbus man accused of murder is scheduled to appear in Circuit today to face a charge of possession of a weapon by a felon.
Charlton Aaron Colom, 35, of 291 Sherman Circle, was arrested and charged with murder and the weapon charge after he allegedly shot and killed Michael Gordon in December 2008. According to witnesses, Colom knocked on the door of Gordon's Billy Walker Road residence and shot the victim once in the upper body. Witnesses said Colom then fled the scene. Since the state maintained that Colom was attempting to rob Gordon in the process of the shooting, Colom was charged with capital murder.
The case was declared nolle prosequi (will not pursue) by the district attorney's office in July 2012 and Colom was released from the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
He is set to appear before Judge Jim Kitchens on the possession charge this morning.
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Hitting the road: Bulldog fans pour into OKC for tonight's Sweet 16 matchup against Washington STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Bond denied for O-Kay Foods shooting suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY