February 27, 2013 9:58:07 AM
JACKSON -- A Mississippi Senate committee approved a bill Tuesday that would make it difficult to get information on weapon permits, including concealed carry permits.
The bill would exclude the permit information from the state public records act. A court order would be required to obtain the data.
A representative of Gov. Phil Bryant's office said that there have been two recent requests for the information, one from a newspaper and another from a blogger.
The amended version of House Bill 485 passed through Judiciary A Committee, despite opposition from multiple committee members. Sen. Derrick Simmons, a Democrat from Greenville who voted against the bill in committee, said the information should be available to the public.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY