The illegal gambling machines are pictured at Dan’s County Line Store on Highway 45 South near the Lowndes and Noxubee County line. Photo by: Courtesy photo
March 19, 2013 10:18:52 AM
A Columbus business owner was issued a citation after seven illegal gambling machines were found at his store Friday night.
A deputy with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department was performing a routine business check around midnight Friday night when he discovered the illegal gambling machines in Dan's County Line Store. Located on Hwy 45. S near the Lowndes County, Noxubee County line, the store is a convenience store and gas station.
The deputy reported his finding to Lowndes County Narcotics, which responded to the scene and recovered more than $10,000 in cash as well as the illegal machines.
David Smart, the operating manager, was issued a citation and will appear in Lowndes County Justice Court next month.
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Little: Aldermen 'overreach' in handling officer incident STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Perception and reality: Downtown business owners grapple with fallout from shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY