Lowndes County Sheriff's deputies Larry Swearingen and Clint Sims escort the man suspected of shooting a postal worker Thursday to a patrol car. The suspect, known by his street name of "Slim," was taken into custody at a Yorkville Road apartment complex Friday afternoon. Photo by: Micah Green
March 22, 2013 2:31:38 PM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
UPDATE: Friday, 6:01 p.m - Authur Lee "Slim" Whitfield, 17, will be formally charged Monday with aggravated assault and armed robbery.
The man suspected of shooting a United States Postal worker is in custody.
A man only known as "Slim", a native of Kalamazoo, Mich., was taken into custody just after 2 p.m. Friday afternoon by deputies with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department.
The suspect was arrested at 677 Yorkville Road, Apt. L4. He is reportedly the cousin of one of the three suspects questioned Thursday afternoon. According to sources, the gun believed to have been used in the shooting was recovered at the apartment.
Doug Aldridge, a rural mail carrier, was shot in the progress of a robbery Thursday around 12:30 p.m. when he was delivering mail to Providence Place, a section of low-income housing located off off Yorkville Road.
The United States Postal Inspection Service offered a $20,000 reward for any information regarding the shooting.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. MSMS teacher wins national award for math, science teachers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bud and Burgers event canceled COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dudy Noble video board to serve as first step in renovation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. MUW planning new culinary arts building COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County parks study complete COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY