March 23, 2013 8:49:02 PM
Jason Spears, vice-president of the Columbus Municipal School District's Board of Trustees, announced Friday that he is resigning as board president of Link'd Young Professionals. He sent a letter to the Chamber of Commerce Thursday, informing them of his decision.
"After consulting with the Mississippi Ethics Commission about my duties with the organization and my new role as vice-president of the CMSD Board of Trustees, it has been determined I could best serve the citizens of our community by resigning my post," Spears stated in the letter.
His resignation will be effective April 1.
Spears had previously inquired with the ethics commission about a possible conflict between his role on the Link'd board and his position as secretary of the school board. The ethics commission determined Spears' involvement with both boards was not a conflict as long as he abstained from voting when matters involving Link'd came before the school board.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville aldermen sending potential case against former officer to DA's office STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY