March 23, 2013 8:49:02 PM
Jason Spears, vice-president of the Columbus Municipal School District's Board of Trustees, announced Friday that he is resigning as board president of Link'd Young Professionals. He sent a letter to the Chamber of Commerce Thursday, informing them of his decision.
"After consulting with the Mississippi Ethics Commission about my duties with the organization and my new role as vice-president of the CMSD Board of Trustees, it has been determined I could best serve the citizens of our community by resigning my post," Spears stated in the letter.
His resignation will be effective April 1.
Spears had previously inquired with the ethics commission about a possible conflict between his role on the Link'd board and his position as secretary of the school board. The ethics commission determined Spears' involvement with both boards was not a conflict as long as he abstained from voting when matters involving Link'd came before the school board.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY