July 29, 2009 10:37:00 AM
Free information sessions about The American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence''s teacher certification program and Teach and Inspire scholarships will be held Thursday in Starkville.
Funded by a U.S. Department of Education Transition to Teaching grant, the program is designed to recruit and prepare highly-qualified individuals to teach in high-need Mississippi schools and subjects.
Teach and Inspire offers full scholarships toward ABCTE teaching certification, along with a $1,000 stipend, after course completion. Those receiving the scholarship must make a three-year commitment to teach the high-need subjects of math, science or English in a high-need Mississippi school.
A non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C., ABCTE already partners with several school districts in the state.
The information sessions will be held Thursday at the Holiday Inn Express, located at 110 Highway 12 West, in Starkville.
Sessions will be held at 5:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Participants can register online at www.teachandinspire.org or by calling 877-669-2228.
For more information, visit www.abcte.org.
1. After nearly disappearing, local meth arrests make comeback COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Former CIA operative urges citizen engagement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. One killed, one severely injured in house fire COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Columbus police department prepares house of horrors COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY