July 29, 2009 10:37:00 AM
Free information sessions about The American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence''s teacher certification program and Teach and Inspire scholarships will be held Thursday in Starkville.
Funded by a U.S. Department of Education Transition to Teaching grant, the program is designed to recruit and prepare highly-qualified individuals to teach in high-need Mississippi schools and subjects.
Teach and Inspire offers full scholarships toward ABCTE teaching certification, along with a $1,000 stipend, after course completion. Those receiving the scholarship must make a three-year commitment to teach the high-need subjects of math, science or English in a high-need Mississippi school.
A non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C., ABCTE already partners with several school districts in the state.
The information sessions will be held Thursday at the Holiday Inn Express, located at 110 Highway 12 West, in Starkville.
Sessions will be held at 5:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Participants can register online at www.teachandinspire.org or by calling 877-669-2228.
For more information, visit www.abcte.org.
1. Father of parking lot shooting victim speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Teen arrested and charged with capital murder, arson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus, Starkville ranked among state's most exciting cities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mayor, city employee raises rescinded COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. New leadership at local Boys and Girls clubs COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY