Lowndes County narcotics officers seized drugs and cash during a Thursday drug bust near Annunciation Catholic School. Photo by: Courtesy photo
March 29, 2013 11:05:56 AM
Two women were arrested Thursday afternoon and charged with drug-related offenses when their car was pulled over less than 100 yards from a school.
Kixxie Evans of Laurel and Michelle Ponds of Forrest County were each charged with felony possession of cocaine with intent to distribute and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute after agents with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Narcotics Division discovered a quarter-kilo of cocaine and two pounds of marijuana in their vehicle.
The arrest took place on the west side of the Food Giant parking lot in East Columbus just before 3 p.m. as school was letting out across the street at Annunciation Catholic School. School officials put the school on temporary lockdown until they were confident the situation was contained.
After a thorough search of the suspect's vehicle, agents and deputies with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department seized more than nine-and-a-half ounces of crack cocaine, two pounds of marijuana and more than $1,600 in cash. The cocaine has a street value of approximately $30,000 and the marijuana has a street value of approximately $6,000.
Two children, ages 13 and 9, were also in the vehicle. The children are now in custody of the Department of Human Services.
Evans and Ponds are currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Little: Aldermen 'overreach' in handling officer incident STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Perception and reality: Downtown business owners grapple with fallout from shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY