March 30, 2013 5:18:46 PM
JACKSON -- Mississippi lawmakers have advanced a bill to help finance buildings for suppliers of Nissan Motor Co.'s plant near Canton.
The House voted 72-45 Saturday to pass Senate Bill 2920, but the bill was held for the possibility of more debate.
House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Jeff Smith says 700 to 1,000 new jobs could be created.
The bill would allow the Madison County Economic Development Authority to issue industrial development bonds, with Nissan persuading bond buyers to lend money. The authority would own multiple buildings that would house Nissan suppliers brought in to support the assembly plant's expansion.
The House rejected Rep. Ed Blackmon's attempt to amend the bill. He wanted to change current law to allow the city of Canton to possibly annex the Nissan plant.
1. CMSD funding request alarms mayor, council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. 'World Changers' serves Golden Triangle for third year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hattiesburg passes over SOCSD official for superintendent STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY