March 30, 2013 5:18:46 PM
JACKSON -- Mississippi lawmakers have advanced a bill to help finance buildings for suppliers of Nissan Motor Co.'s plant near Canton.
The House voted 72-45 Saturday to pass Senate Bill 2920, but the bill was held for the possibility of more debate.
House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Jeff Smith says 700 to 1,000 new jobs could be created.
The bill would allow the Madison County Economic Development Authority to issue industrial development bonds, with Nissan persuading bond buyers to lend money. The authority would own multiple buildings that would house Nissan suppliers brought in to support the assembly plant's expansion.
The House rejected Rep. Ed Blackmon's attempt to amend the bill. He wanted to change current law to allow the city of Canton to possibly annex the Nissan plant.
1. Sunday morning wreck claims three lives COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY