July 30, 2009 3:25:00 PM
STARKVILLE -- A Mississippi State University professor accused of assaulting a student last month is scheduled for an Oktibbeha County Justice Court appearance Tuesday to face the charge.
Dr. Jeff Wilkinson, an assistant professor of biochemistry and molecular biology, has been charged with simple assault, MSU Police Department Chief Georgia Lindley said. The charge stems from an incident Wilkinson had with a student on June 29, though Lindley would not disclose any additional information due to the upcoming court date.
Calls to Wilkinson''s office at Mississippi State Tuesday went unanswered. Lindley said she is unsure whether or not Wilkinson is still working at the university.
Director of the Office of University Relations, Maridith Geuder, said she could not comment on Wilkinson''s employment status.
"As a practice, the university does not comment on any issue involving personnel," she said.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Local man charged in Holly Hills death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY