April 16, 2013 9:14:58 AM
BAY ST. LOUIS -- A Mississippi woman has been sentenced to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to manslaughter for dousing her husband with hot cooking oil in 2006.
Edna Mae Sanders entered the plea Monday before Hancock County Circuit Judge Larry Bourgeois.
Prosecutors say Sanders poured the oil on 53-year-old Sherman Sanders while he was asleep at their house in Diamondhead on July 27, 2006. He died several days later.
Edna Mae Sanders, who is 52 now, testified at trial that she threw the oil on him after he attacked her and threatened to kill her.
The case has worked its way through the courts for years. Edna Mae Sanders was convicted of murder in 2008 and sentenced to life in prison.
The conviction was overturned on appeal in 2011.
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY