April 22, 2013 9:09:05 AM
NATCHEZ -- The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation says police shot and killed a 25-year-old Natchez man who fought with and then shot at officers investigating a highway wreck.
Spokesman Warren Strain says Justin Tyler Harrigill died late Saturday night on Interstate 55 South about a mile south of Crystal Springs.
He says in a news release that Harrigill became uncooperative after a state trooper found his wrecked car about 10:30 p.m. Saturday. He says the trooper called for help, and more troopers, Crystal Springs police and firefighters, and a hospital rescue crew responded.
Strain says nonlethal measures had no effect on Harrigill. He says Harrigill was shot after pulling a handgun and firing at the officers.
1. Ex-employee threatens shooting at Zaxby's COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. In his DNA: Shepherd plays key role in cold case arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Volunteers host local arts bazaar in Starkville Sunday STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha County's chancery candidates preparing for nonpartisan race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Gavin: Poor schools stunt city's growth COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY