April 22, 2013 9:09:05 AM
NATCHEZ -- The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation says police shot and killed a 25-year-old Natchez man who fought with and then shot at officers investigating a highway wreck.
Spokesman Warren Strain says Justin Tyler Harrigill died late Saturday night on Interstate 55 South about a mile south of Crystal Springs.
He says in a news release that Harrigill became uncooperative after a state trooper found his wrecked car about 10:30 p.m. Saturday. He says the trooper called for help, and more troopers, Crystal Springs police and firefighters, and a hospital rescue crew responded.
Strain says nonlethal measures had no effect on Harrigill. He says Harrigill was shot after pulling a handgun and firing at the officers.
1. Man arrested for wedding day melee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Murder victim's attacker pleads guilty to assault COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. SOCSD assistant superintendent vying for boss' job STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY