April 22, 2013 9:09:05 AM
NATCHEZ -- The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation says police shot and killed a 25-year-old Natchez man who fought with and then shot at officers investigating a highway wreck.
Spokesman Warren Strain says Justin Tyler Harrigill died late Saturday night on Interstate 55 South about a mile south of Crystal Springs.
He says in a news release that Harrigill became uncooperative after a state trooper found his wrecked car about 10:30 p.m. Saturday. He says the trooper called for help, and more troopers, Crystal Springs police and firefighters, and a hospital rescue crew responded.
Strain says nonlethal measures had no effect on Harrigill. He says Harrigill was shot after pulling a handgun and firing at the officers.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Former coach pleads guilty to sex crime with student COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY