May 20, 2013 10:21:44 AM
WEST POINT -- A West Point alderman is suing in federal court to block his loss in a primary election.
Jasper Pittman, the incumbent alderman in West Point's Ward 5, missed forcing a Democratic primary runoff against Gary Dedeaux by one vote, according to final tallies.
Pittman alleges in a lawsuit filed Friday that the body that ran the election had no authority, and demands either a runoff against Dedeaux or a new election. The suit claims there was no properly constituted city Democratic Executive Committee, and thus the purported head of that committee had no power to enlist the municipal election commission to run the Democratic primary.
Pittman says some absentee and affidavit votes were improperly counted for Dedeaux, while absentee and affidavit ballots for Pittman and third candidate were improperly discarded.
1. Second Baptist feud over construction intensifies STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Wiggins wins Caledonia by one vote COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Delta crash response: 'A somber, purpose-driven' mood COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus Boys and Girls Club reaps what it sows COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Property swap may be option for Southside project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY