May 20, 2013 10:30:39 AM
A Columbus woman was shot in the throat early this morning at a North Columbus apartment complex, and the Columbus Police Department is continuing to search for the male suspect.
CPD Public Information Officer Glenda Buckhalter said an unidentified woman was shot around 5 a.m. today at Dr. T.V. James Terrace, located at 1711 Wheat St. The victim was transported via ambulance to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle. As of press time, her condition was unknown.
Buckhalter said due to the ongoing investigation, the victim's name is not being released. Police are searching for a male shooter, but the relationship between the victim and the suspect is unknown.
As of 9 a.m., sources on the scene said CPD investigators were still at the housing complex speaking with neighbors and interviewing witnesses. The complex, located off 14th Avenue North at the intersection of Wheat Street and Clover Street, is operated by Columbus Housing Authority.
Sarah Fowler covers crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch. Follow her on Twitter @FowlerSarah
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY