May 21, 2013 10:31:18 AM
A one million dollar bond has been set for a Columbus teenager accused of murder.
Municipal Court Judge Nicole Clinkscales set Derrick Nelson's million dollar bond Monday afternoon.
Nelson, 19, is accused of fatally shooting his mother's boyfriend, Willie Hood Jr., last Saturday morning.
The shooting took place at Nelson's Southside residence shortly before 1:30 a.m. Saturday, according to Columbus Police Department Public Information Officer Glenda Buckhalter. Hood died of a gunshot wound before emergency responders arrived.
Buckhalter said the investigation is ongoing. Nelson is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mullen receives pay bump, extension STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Historic Friendship Cemetery is still open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. SPD eyes camera at high-traffic Cotton District intersection STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY