May 21, 2013 10:31:18 AM
A one million dollar bond has been set for a Columbus teenager accused of murder.
Municipal Court Judge Nicole Clinkscales set Derrick Nelson's million dollar bond Monday afternoon.
Nelson, 19, is accused of fatally shooting his mother's boyfriend, Willie Hood Jr., last Saturday morning.
The shooting took place at Nelson's Southside residence shortly before 1:30 a.m. Saturday, according to Columbus Police Department Public Information Officer Glenda Buckhalter. Hood died of a gunshot wound before emergency responders arrived.
Buckhalter said the investigation is ongoing. Nelson is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Trio gets 40 years for pizza delivery robberies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Check warns Oktibbeha County 'not big enough' for two ambulance services STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Man faces assault charge for Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Three finalists picked for CMSD superintendent job COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY