May 21, 2013 10:31:18 AM
A one million dollar bond has been set for a Columbus teenager accused of murder.
Municipal Court Judge Nicole Clinkscales set Derrick Nelson's million dollar bond Monday afternoon.
Nelson, 19, is accused of fatally shooting his mother's boyfriend, Willie Hood Jr., last Saturday morning.
The shooting took place at Nelson's Southside residence shortly before 1:30 a.m. Saturday, according to Columbus Police Department Public Information Officer Glenda Buckhalter. Hood died of a gunshot wound before emergency responders arrived.
Buckhalter said the investigation is ongoing. Nelson is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
Sarah Fowler covers crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. West Point PD makes third arrest in August altercation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes awaits same-sex marriage ruling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mill development on pace for June completion STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Investigators: August murder victim beaten, stabbed COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Deck collapse could prompt county building code discussions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY