May 21, 2013 10:31:18 AM
A one million dollar bond has been set for a Columbus teenager accused of murder.
Municipal Court Judge Nicole Clinkscales set Derrick Nelson's million dollar bond Monday afternoon.
Nelson, 19, is accused of fatally shooting his mother's boyfriend, Willie Hood Jr., last Saturday morning.
The shooting took place at Nelson's Southside residence shortly before 1:30 a.m. Saturday, according to Columbus Police Department Public Information Officer Glenda Buckhalter. Hood died of a gunshot wound before emergency responders arrived.
Buckhalter said the investigation is ongoing. Nelson is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspects lead police on chase through two counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. County pushes city to relax Cornerstone regulations STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY