May 21, 2013 9:44:15 PM
It still needs to be made official, but Lisa Wynn looks to have taken the Ward 2 Alderman seat from incumbent Sandra Sistrunk in a close Starkville run-off.
City Clerk Taylor Adams announced late Tuesday night that unofficial numbers, including 19 absentee ballots, showed Wynn with 209 votes and Sistrunk with 189. Eighteen affidavit ballots have yet to be counted, but with the current total, Sistrunk could land all 18, and still be two votes short.
After the May 7 primary, Sistrunk lead by 2 votes, but Wynn reigned in a tie at 181 votes a piece after a nail-biting affidavit count, that resulted in four more votes for Wynn and two for Sistrunk.
Wynn said she is humbled the residents of Ward 2 have placed their trust in her.
"I had less than eight days to regroup, refocus and create a plan, I was able to get some friends in a close door meeting and we were able to get this turned around," she said. "I will be a voice, and not only for Ward 2, but for Starkville."
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS